DENVER – June 9, 2017 (Investorideas.com Newswire) The Colorado General Assembly recently approved SB 17-17 to add Post-Traumatic Stress Bill to the list of approved medical conditions for the use of medical cannabis. That became Colorado law June 5th with Governor John Hickenlooper’s signature. This is the final step of what has been a long journey to justice. Military veterans and all suffering from this debilitating condition can finally have access to medical cannabis in order to effectively supplement their treatment regimen under the supervision of trusted physicians. Related Colorado Appeals and Denver District court cases were handled pro bono by Hoban Law Group on behalf of Plaintiffs Curtis Bean, Larisa Bolivar, Matthew Kahl, Stephen Otero and Zachary Phillips.
“We at Hoban Law Group extend our deep gratitude to Senator Aguilar, Representative Singer and the other members of the Colorado General Assembly for making medical marijuana available to PTSD survivors in Colorado. It has been an honor to work hand in hand with veterans and other stakeholders to shepherd this critically important bill through the legislative process.”- Adam Foster, Lead Attorney, PTSD Case
First proposed in early 2016, SB 17-17 will do the following:
- Allow individuals suffering from PTSD to have an honest conversation with their treating physician about how use of medical marijuana fits in as part of a comprehensive treatment plan.
- Allow veterans with PTSD to participate in a state-authorized medical marijuana program, as required by the Veterans Administration.
- Allow PTSD sufferers, many whom live on military disability benefits and other fixed sources of income, to pay substantially less for medical marijuana than other marijuana available in the retail market place.
- Provide for access to medical marijuana strains and caregiver services that are not available in the retail market place.
This win for those suffering with PTSD means Colorado now joins the list of more than 20 states that approve medical marijuana for treatment of these conditions.
STATES ALLOWING MMJ FOR TREATMENT OF PTSD:
- Jurisdiction Listed or discretion? How added?
- Arizona Listed Admin
- California Broad discretion by doc Initiative
- Connecticut Listed Legislature
- Delaware Listed Legislature
- Florida Broad discretion by doc Legislature
- Hawaii Listed Admin
- Illinois Broad discretion by doc Legislature
- Maine Listed Legislature
- Maryland Listed Legislature
- Massachusetts Broad discretion by doc Admin
- Michigan Listed Admin
- Minnesota Listed Admin
- Nevada Listed Admin
- New Jersey Listed Legislature
- New Mexico Listed Admin
- Ohio Listed Legislative
- Oregon Listed Legislative
- Pennsylvania Listed Legislative
- Puerto Rico Broad discretion by doc Admin
- Guam Listed Initiative
- Rhode Island Listed Legislature
- D.C. Broad discretion by doc Initiative
Medical marijuana provides a safer alternative for many patients. Existing treatments for PTSD, primarily pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy, have limitations and do not necessarily result in effective treatment. Some patients experience high potential for addiction to opioids and other prescription drugs.
Colorado is the only state that had formally denied a request to add PTSD to its list of approved conditions for use of medical marijuana.
Currently in the U.S., 20 states, Guam and Puerto Rico, have approved PTSD on their medical conditions for veterans, and the national American Legion has also approved use of medical cannabis use for their veterans.
About Hoban Law Group:
Founded in 2008, Hoban Law Group is the leading international law firm specializing in cannabis and hemp law and policy. Headquartered in Denver, the firm offers expert legal and business law counsel across the United States and in Puerto Rico, Central and South America. Managing Partner, Bob Hoban, will appear June 12th-14th at NCIA’s 4th Annual Cannabis Business Summit & Expo in Oakland California and June 14th-16th in New York at the Cannabis World Congress & Expo.
Marijuana / Hemp Stocks
Like Marijuana Stocks? View our Marijuana / Hemp Stocks Directory
Join our Group on Linkedin – Marijuana / Hemp Stocks – News and Trends in Green Investing
Global Cannabis Investing – features Investor Ideas Cannabis news
Watch the 420 Cannabis Investor video
This news is published on the Investorideas.com Newswire – a global digital news source for investors and business leaders
Disclaimer/Disclosure: Investorideas.com is a digital publisher of third party sourced news, articles and equity research as well as creates original content, including video, interviews and articles. Original content created by investorideas is protected by copyright laws other than syndication rights. Our site does not make recommendations for purchases or sale of stocks, services or products. Nothing on our sites should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell products or securities. All investment involves risk and possible loss of investment. This site is currently compensated for news publication and distribution, social media and marketing, content creation and more. Contact each company directly regarding content and press release questions. Disclosure is posted for each compensated news release, content published /created if required but otherwise the news was not compensated for and was published for the sole interest of our readers and followers. More disclaimer info: http://www.investorideas.com/About/Disclaimer.asp
Additional info regarding BC Residents and global Investors: Effective September 15 2008 – all BC investors should review all OTC and Pink sheet listed companies for adherence in new disclosure filings and filing appropriate documents with Sedar. Read for more info: http://www.bcsc.bc.ca/release.aspx?id=6894. Global investors must adhere to regulations of each country.
Source: New feed